Ocean City, Maryland is a classic East Coast beach town. It's located in a super flat part of the country and is home to a long stretch of beach and a lively boardwalk. There are tons and tons of hotels and vacation rentals, miniature golf courses on every block, and souvenir stores as far as the eye can see. There's also an Ocean City in New Jersey. This is not the Jersey shore, kids, it's Maryland.
While most of my high school classmates from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania went to Ocean City, Maryland (OCMD) for "senior week" at the end of our high school careers, I didn't. The last time I visited OCMD since I was 12 or 13. I fondly remember playing mini golf with family and spending my hard-earned-babysitting-money on souvenir t-shirts and necklaces! Other than those memories, I have very few so I was excited to visit again.
Visiting as an adult means I can spend my hard-earned-career-money on all of the souvenirs, cocktails, carbs, and desserts as I want to! My Fav 5 spots in OCMD are:
1. Luckily we were traveling with a friend who grew up in OCMD and he knew just how to properly welcome us to the beach town, with an Orange Crush. Our very first stop was at Harborside Bar & Grill, home of the original Orange Crush in West Ocean City.
If you also don't know what an Orange Crush is you will find out quickly in OCMD! This popular cocktail is served in a pint glass and contains vodka, triple sec (orange liqueur), orange juice that's just been squeezed from the fresh fruit, ice, a splash of lemon-lime soda, and a slice of orange. Harborside claims the recipe as their own but you'll find the drinks all over OCMD and the signature orange juicer behind every bar you visit.
One Orange Crush was enough for me while some of our friends drank them all weekend!
2. Uber Bagels crossed my radar during some pre-trip research on Trip Advisor. We visited this New York style bagel shop both mornings we spent in OCMD, it was that good. Our condo was just across the parking lot and our whole gang loved their bagel breakfast sandwiches.
My gang of male-roommates (how does that always happen?) went for hot sandwiches of sausage, egg, and cheese. On the first day I tried the cold lox traditional sandwich which included lox (smoked salmon), cream cheese, red onion, and capers on a salt bagel. I'd eat that exact combo every morning if I could.
On the second day I spiced things up quite literally ordering an Old Bay bagel and the hot Magic Mushroom Meltdown sandwich that included egg, portobello mushrooms, cheddar, and provolone cheeses. It was delicious and totally different from my previous day's meal.
If you're in OCMD you cannot miss these stellar bagels and the hundreds of bagel, cream cheese, and sandwich varieties for both breakfast and lunch.
3. Of course a walk down the historic OCMD Boardwalk is a necessity! The wooden boardwalk is dotted with rides, stores, games, and places to eat and drink. If we'd had more time I would have gone full History Nerd at the Life-Saving Station Museum.
4. I'm not sure a visit to the Boardwalk would be complete without an Old Time Photo! While I don't remember much from my pre-teen visit to OCMD I do recall the costumes you wear on top of your clothing, their very stale smell, and the high price tag on these photos.
It was $29.95 for one 8" x 10" but that didn't deter me. I didn't get upsold on the frame, matte, or another set of photos, just one new/old photo did the trick. I laugh every time I look at it and I'm so happy we got one.
5. Last and certainly not least is Kohr Brothers Frozen Custard. Their old fashioned custard was just perfect on a warm afternoon on the boardwalk, although it melted quickly! I got a sugar cone with chocolate and peanut butter custard swirled together and topped with chocolate jimmies (sprinkles). It was delightful.
We had a great visit to OCMD, although a short one. We surely made the most of our few days in town.
What are your OCMD favorites?
What is Figs and Flights?
A blog fueled by food and travel, Figs and Flights is a resource for curious travelers, foodies, yogis & book worms
Hello, I'm Angela
I'm a food obsessed blogger and world traveler
Most Popular Posts
Most Popular Videos
Most Popular Recipes